Unmarried relationship breakdown

Many people may be surprised that there is no simple or coherent body of law at present to sort out breakdown of the unmarried family. However, at Martin Kaye we are able to help you through the minefield if you do find yourself in this situation.

The courts do have powers to divide up property assets for unmarried couples, but unlike married couples, they have no powers over other assets such as pensions, other capital investments or maintenance if one of the parties needs it. There is no such thing as a "common law marriage" and it is vital that advice is taken at the earliest possible opportunity.

The law in this area is complex and the court will decide each case according to the facts, including whether the property is jointly or solely legally owned, what the conveyancing or trust documents say about ownership, what has been said or agreed during the relationship, and what financial contributions there have been during the relationship.

At Martin Kaye we have experienced advisers who can act swiftly and decisively to investigate your claim, and ensure that your rights are fully and properly represented. For more information please call 01952 525915 or via email